How Will Methadone Help Me?
Methadone Maintenance Therapy (MMT) is a substitution therapy that will replace my dependence on my current opioid of choice with dependence on methadone. This is a very important tool to help manage addiction. MMT is very beneficial for people suffering from the disease of opioid addiction in a number of ways.
- Avoids all the risks associated with IV drug use (e.g. risk of getting HIV, Hepatitis C or skin infections)
- Eliminates the need to inject or snort opioid of choice 6-8 times/day
- Eliminates the need to get money to buy opioids and can reduce associated illegal activities
- Blocks the ability to get high from using other opioids
The above benefits enable:
- The re-establishment of relationships with family and non-using friends if these have been compromised as a result of addiction.
- The re-establishment of stable housing and stable employment/schooling if these have been compromised as a result of addiction.
- Inexpensive or Free
- Reduce IV use
- Improve health & nutrition
- Improve stable relationships with friends & family